Here in California, where we pull out the sweaters and Uggs when the thermometer dips into the 60s, actual, frozen, wintery weather is regarded as sort of a fairy tale. Snow, icicles, frozen ponds with skaters -- those are fictional entities to kids who are accustomed to spending Saturday afternoons on the beach in February.
Behold exhibit A: The weather outside was 78 degrees last Saturday, and my kids were indoors playing "Winter", complete with a frozen pond and a Littlest Pet Shop ice skating party.
- Littlest Pet Shops are possibly THE defining toys of Taite's childhood. She has gotten a lot of mileage out of these bobble-headed critters over the past few years, and her collection of pets and accessories is pretty impressive. They are to her childhood what Barbies and the Lundby dollhouse were to mine.
- Littlest Pet Shop is something Reece and Taite enjoying playing together. With the boy/girl and age difference, there are few toys that interest both of them, so that's big.
- Each and every one of those 150 or so pets has a name, and the kids remember them all. Yet, they forget where they took off their shoes.
- There is almost always a pile of crap junk on the corner of my family room fireplace, as seen in the background of the first picture. (Who am I kidding with the 'almost'??) This used to really bug me when I would take a photo and realize it was "ruined" with clutter in the background. But I have come to terms with the fact that this is how life is with kids. My fireplace will be clutter-free when they're all grown up, and I will probably miss that pile. Or, at least the time in my life it represents. And then I'll look at pictures like this and smile nostalgically.
- Both kids are into sleeping in Dad's big t-shirts lately, even though they have really cute Nick and Nora pajamas.
- Playing Littlest Pet Shop is a pretty standard Saturday morning activity around here these days, along with watching Spongebob, and making pancakes.
Amazing how a couple of pictures can encapsulate so many different snapshots of our life!